Friday, September 7, 2012

Nervous Conditions


Last night I finished book #208, Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga. Even though it took me a while to get started I really enjoyed this book. Young Sisi Tambudzai is sent to school at the local mission after her older brother dies. Tambu's uncle is the headmaster of the school and the family patriarch who basically runs the lives of his entire family. Tambu's father is lazy and unmotivated, so without Babamukuru's help they would all starve. The hardest thing about reading this story was keeping the familial titles straight.

Having lived all my life with my "twangy American accent" and a very female-dominated family, it is hard for me to relate to the issues in this book. Even so I really enjoyed the book. It is one of those stories that makes me realize what I have and how fortunate I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment