Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fever Bird

It has been almost a year since my last post. I was discouraged by some horrible troll that posted a comment (which I deleted), but I am thinking I am ready to try a little again. I haven't read that many 1001 books recently, but I did want to post my favorite poem from one of my favorite books, A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. This book is very long but well worth the time. Here is the poem: The Fever Bird The fever bird sang out last night. I could not sleep, try as I might. My brain was split, my spirit raw, I looked into the garden, saw The shadow of the amaltas Shake slightly on the moonlight grass. Unseen, the bird cried out its grief, Its lunacy, without relief: Three notes repeated closer, higher, Soaring, then sinking down like fire Only to breathe the night and soar, As crazed, as desperate, as before. I shivered in the midnight heat And smelt the sweat that soaked my sheet. And now tonight I hear again The call the skewers through my brain, The call, the brain-sick triple note -- A bone of pain stuck in its throat. I am so tired I could weep. Mad bird, for God's sake let me sleep. Why do you cry like one possessed? When will you rest? When will you rest? Why wait each night till all but I Lie sleeping in the house, then cry? Why do you scream into my ear What no one else but I can hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment