Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Death in Venice


Just finished book #750, Death in Venice by Thomas Mann. This book is only 62 pages, but it took me 4 or 5 days to read. It is a dense novella about a man who suddenly decides to travel in 1911. He makes his way to Venice where he begins observing a Polish family. He ultimately falls in love with the young Polish boy Tadzio. It is hard to say much else about the story without telling everything, so I will share my favorite quote from the book:

"Yes, even on a personal basis art is an enhancement of life. It makes you more deeply happy, it wears you out faster." Page 11 Dover Edition

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give you lots of credit in taking up your reading again being a mom with two active little boys and doing Jamberry Nails. Good job Lynns!

      Delete
  2. I am able to read so much lately because we aren't watching TV at night - I read and James plays video games.

    ReplyDelete