Thursday, July 12, 2012

Their Eyes Were Watching God


I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston a lot quicker than I expected. I still don't like the phonetic speech, but once I got a little further into the book I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed the main character, Janie. She was so easy to relate to and her pain was very real. Even though she left one husband and buried two more she didn't let life beat her down. In the end she found peace, which might be her greatest achievement.

As you may have noticed, I like to find specific quotes from the books that either strike a chord with me or tend to sum up the experience of the book. Here is one that speaks of Janie's second marriage:

"She stood there until something fell off the shelf inside her. Then she went inside to see what it was. It was her image of Jody tumbled down and shattered. But looking at it she saw that it never was the flesh and blood figure of her dreams. Just something she had grabbed up to drape her dreams over." Page 68

Who hasn't felt that way at some point in life? Not just about a spouse, but with any sort of relationship. Hurston has a way of putting visceral emotions into words that anyone can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment