Tuesday, July 31, 2012

J. M. Coetzee

I am currently reading book #21, Elizabeth Costello by J. M. Coetzee. This is my fourth Coetzee book, and I have disliked all of them so far. I can't believe this author has managed to get 10 books on the list - the same amount as Charles Dickens! I just cannot see how Coetzee can be considered worth of 10 books on the list - fortunately they are all fairly short. I actually found a quote in Elizabeth Costello that describes my feelings toward Coetzee's work.

When talking about books - "that are going to be opened and read for a page or two and then yawned at and put aside forever..." If I didn't feel the need to finish any book I start, I would probably do this with Coetzee's books. And if I didn't feel the need to finish this entire list, I would never pick up another of his books again.

No comments:

Post a Comment